Saturday, February 03, 2007

My Linux Experience

Being a hardcore Windows XP user it took me a lot of years and convincing to finally appreciate using Linux. This occurred mainly because i started working a lot on our office Redhat box.

Last week I thought it was high time for me to boot up on Linux at home too . One of my friends had a Kubuntu live CD so I thought I would give it a try. The live CD allows you to run the OS without from a CD or DVD without actually requiring that the OS be installed on your PC.

This is a good strategy to win Window users over and it worked on me. So after trying out the live CD I was convinced enough to install Kubuntu , which is a KDE version of Ubuntu. I was really pleased to find that it sported all that I required on my home PC , an internet browser called Konqueror , RSS feed reader and even an instant messenger that allowed me to connect to MSN. I was thrilled to find that My.T was working seamlessly and I could connect to the internet without any hitch.

However after a few hours I decided that Konqueror was not the best browser around so I downloaded FireFox2 but was unable to install it. Furthermore I was unable to see any flash enabled websites because the Flash on Kubuntu can be installed primarily only on Firefox browsers. Damn I was annoyed , I searched and searched the web but I learnt that the mainstream version Ubuntu come loaded with Firefox and that it was sporting GNOME instead of KDE.

Now I wanted to get rid of my Kubuntu so as I can later download Ubuntu and install that instead. I thought maybe formatting the 36GB root partion and 1GB swap Linux partions would remedy the problem... I was wrong . I had to actually modify my GRUB config file , GRUB is the bootloader used by Kubuntu, and remove the entries for Kubuntu leaving only those for Windows XP.

After that all that was required, according to my friend and the different sites I visited, was that I needed use a windows bootdisk and perform fdisk /mbr .

So I went into the Phoenix bios set up of my core duo ,to boot on diskette instead of on CD, only to find out that the vendor had placed a password for the bios . Reading online i discovered that there was a backdoor password for Phoenix bios which was "phoenix" and which of course didnt work! So now am downloading a bootable CD ISO which would allow me to remove the damn GRUB thing.

In parallel am also downloading an ISO for Ubuntu 6.10 using uTorrent client , which is the best torrent client I've seen so far even better than Azareus.

My Linux experience is yet to be over ..i will keep you updated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Javed,

I'm quite old at computing. May be we were friends back in years 94/5 at RCPL. Anyways, Ubuntu isn't woth it! Sorry, but that's the truth. In fact u can go directly 2 its website 2 get a real "hard copy" of the CD itself ;) It'll help a lot, believe me. And it's free. U can even ask for a batch, if needed. Anyways, I've tried to use this linux system "anti-gates" therapy... well, it deserves to be greeted to this web 2.0 world but... there are loads of stuff which don't actually work with ubuntu. I have 2 say that I went for it with all my might, but 3 days later came out 2 b useless time spent upon "trying" 2 make it really work, as it fits your PC personality.

TC,
Shay

p.s. i'm really proud 2 c a Mauritian keeping up with blogging and the difference is that You KNOW what you r talking about!!! unlike some other bloggers from mru. Well, that's what differentiates the best from the rest, right ;)