Saturday, July 05, 2014

Mounting a NAS Drive on Raspberry Pi

I got my Pi last year in December and I know i went through the painful task of searching for all the options for configuring my Pi to access a NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive. In my case my Transcend 750GB HD is connected to my Orange Livebox .

Today I decided that I would restart from scratch with my PI installation as OMXPlayer somehow stopped working so am writing this up such as others can quickly setup their NAS drive.

First thing you need to create the following directory on your PI :

/home/pi/myNAS/myShare

this is simple as executing :



  1. mkdir myNAS
  2. then cd myNAS
  3. mkdir myShare
Once you've create the directory you need the following information :

  • Location of your NAS storage device e.g //livebox/myNASLocation
  • Username and password to connect to the NAS device e.g myUsername / myPassword
Then login to your raspberryPi and execute the following command:



  • sudo nano /etc/fstab
You will need to specify the mapping for the NAS within this file simply add a line like the following to the file within the nano editor:
  • //livebox/myNASLocation/  /home/pi/myNAS/myShare cifs username=myUsername,password=myPassword,uid=pi  0 0

Obviously you will need to replace :


  1. //livebox/myNasLocation/  
  2. , myUsername with your actual NAS username
  3. and myPassword  with password for your NAS
-with your own values.


Now do a CONTROL+X  to exit nano , enter Y to save and enter on your Return to exit Nano.


Just to make sure you might want to re-open the file to check whether the settings were correctly saved.

Now that we have added the value , the last thing that to do is to mount the NAS , simply enter the following command :


  • sudo mount /home/pi/myNAS/myShare

No comments: